Piedmont Regional Science Fair
About 300 students from Piedmont Virginia representing more than thirty different schools from over a dozen school divisions participate. For specific information about the current or most recent fair go to the Fair Program page.
Middle School students (Junior Division) and High School students (Senior Division) are judged separately in each of 17 science and engineering categories. Schools within Albemarle, Culpeper, Fluvanna, Green, King George, Louisa, Madison, Nelson, Orange, Rappahannock, Spotsylvania, and Stafford counties are in the Science Fair region. We welcome the participation of all 6th through 12th grade students in our region even when their school does not include the Fair in their science program.
Students compete in their school fairs where projects are selected to participate in our Regional Fair. At our fair they are interviewed by a panel of volunteer judges who are often from a scientific or engineering field themselves. The winners are announced the evening of the Fair.
• Two Senior Division “Grand Award Winners” win expense-paid trips to the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair where students compete for over $3 million in awards and scholarships.
• Each Senior Division 1st Place category award winner is invited to advance to the Virginia State Science & Engineering Fair.
• Each Junior Division 1st Place category award winner is invited to participate in the SSP Middle School Program, a national science competition.
• First, second and third place is awarded in each category and division.
• More than 100 special awards are presented by more than 30 organizations. See Sponsors
Send mail to
with questions or comments about this web site.