We’re looking to confirm the 2018 Fair date very soon for either March 7 or 8, 2018. The venue will again be the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, VA.
For the first time in many, many years, the VPRSF has 2 female Grand Champions who will be going to the International Fair in Los Angeles, CA!
Mriganka Mandal from Albemarle High School won with her project: “Necrosis of Lung Adenocarcinoma by Targeting a Gamete Specific Protein” and Margaret Richey from Western Albemarle won with her project: “The Morris Orthotic the Smart Orthotic for Diabetic Patients.”
All award winners can be found in the 2017 Awards Program located here: 2017 Awards Program — Congratulations to all winners!!
Download the program here: FULL PROGRAM 2017
- Fair Location. The Fair is being held at the John Paul Jones Arena located at 295 Massie Rd in Charlottesville, VA at the University of Virginia. The Fair will be held on the Arena floor. All project-related activities, including lunch, concessions, the morning orientation, and the evening award ceremony will occur on this level.
- Directions. Can be found here. Parking will be available in the main lot in front of the entrance to the Arena.
- Schedule. Can be found here. To summarize:
- Registration and project set up begins at 8am (please do not arrive and expect to set up earlier than this – I know many of you drive several hours to be here, so if you arrive early that’s fine, but you’ll need to wait until 8am to check in and get your assigned project location). There will be a check in table set up in the main entrance of the Arena (called Sandridge Hall) staffed by our Fair Committee members. They will provide you with the location of your table to set up your project, your project label, and lunch ticket. Please remember, glass, soil, bacteria, mold, etc. are not allowed and there will be no access to electricity. If you are using a laptop you’ll need to ensure the battery is already charged when you arrive.
- Student orientation begins at 9:45am in the East end bleachers (Section 108 on the arena floor).
- Judging begins at 10am. See Schedule for further information about Division, Special Awards and Best of Show judging as well as lunch breaks. All breaks and schedule activities will be announced over the PA system, so please listen closely during announcements so you’ll know where to go for the next activity.
- You are free from approximately 2:30pm to 5:30pm to leave the project area and/or the Arena (but please wait to be let go before leaving – Best In Show judging may still be occurring after 2:30pm). Please return by 5:30pm for the awards ceremony.
- Feel free to bring something to entertain yourself during down time. Personal entertainment devices are permitted, but not during judging. Students will not have access to UVA’s Wi-Fi. Teachers may request access – although it is extremely limited and first come first served. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access.
- Awards Ceremony. Is from 5:45pm to 7pm and will be located in Section 108 on the East side of the Arena lower level.
- If you are on a team and win an award, please see the designated Fair representative after your award is announced so we can coordinate delivery of plaques.
- Teachers of 1st place award recipients in both Divisions will receive $100. Checks will be sent to the winning teachers shortly after the Fair.
- Lunch / Snacks / Concessions. The Fair entry fee includes the cost of a box lunch. Each registered student will receive a lunch ticket in their registration packet. Lunches will be available for purchase for $7 for teachers/parents/chaperones. The Arena will have concession stands open during the day for snacks and drinks. Free water stations will also be available throughout the day.
- Box lunches include a choice of:
- Ham & Swiss Sandwich OR
- Turkey & Provolone Sandwich OR
- Roast Beef & Cheddar Sandwich OR
- Veggie Sub
- Box lunches include a choice of:
- Potato Chips, fruit cup, a cookie, and a bottle of water
- If you have any special dietary needs please contact me immediately at email@example.com so we can make other arrangements for your lunch.
- IMPORTANT: The Arena does not allow outside food or drink, so if you decide to leave during the day you will not be able to enter the Arena with any food purchased from outside vendors. If you need to bring your own lunch due to special dietary needs, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to make the arrangements prior to the day of the Fair.
- Be comfortable! This is a long day and there will be downtime, so you might want to bring your iPod or a book to read (we recommend those items are put away during judging). You will also be standing for some time during the judging phase, so bring comfortable shoes and wear comfortable clothes. Chairs will be made available as well, but we suggest students are standing when the judges arrive.
- Fair Program. The full Fair Program will be posted in a few days on the VPRSF website for download.
- T-shirts on Sale. We will be selling incredibly awesome black and silver and blue and white VPRSF t-shirts for $10. Please bring cash or a check made out to VPRSF if you wish to purchase one.
- Registration fees. I will be sending invoices soon to teachers who requested one so the school can pay for the project fees. If you haven’t paid fees and haven’t yet made arrangements, please contact me. I’ll be reconciling all fees soon and will reach out to anyone who hasn’t yet submitted payment or made arrangements.
Booz Allen Hamilton has committed to being a Silver Sponsor again this year! They also have several of their local analysts volunteering to be judges and will provide a $300 cash award and trophy to the winner of the Booz Allen Award. Big thanks for their continued support!
As they have since 2007, Battelle Memorial Institute, the world’s largest non-profit R&D company, has signed on to be the VPRSF Gold Sponsor for 2017. Not only do they sponsor, but they provide several judges who volunteer their time to inspire the students at our Fair! Thanks Battelle!!
NEW FOR 2017!!! Junior Division Information: Students in the Junior Division (6th – 8th grades) are NO LONGER REQUIRED TO UPLOAD FORMS. The registration process has been amended so Junior Division registrants can upload their research project information online. If a safety review and approval is required, that should still be done via our Safety Review Committee by emailing email@example.com for approval.
Senior Division students will use this process too, but they will require ISEF paperwork for upload to the site. Seniors will not be required to upload abstracts and research plans. They will be captured in the online registration process.
Registration is scheduled to begin on January 1st. Any project that includes hazardous materials, human participants, or biological samples will require approval of our Safety Review Committee. Submit project plans to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval prior to registration.
The VPRSF will once again be held at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, VA.
The date is Thursday, March 9, 2017. Check the Fair Information page for updated 2017 dates and deadlines.
The full list of winners of awards at the 35th Annual VPRSF is here: 2016 Awards Program